Friday, March 25, 2011

Illustration Friday: Cultivate

Fertile Crescent
According to Wikipedia (I know, I do not hold back when it comes to research :) ) people first began to cultivate plants for food around 10 000 years ago in the fertile crescent.

I included in my painting:
* some patterns from ancient pottery found in the region
* grains, chickpeas (or garbanzo beans to those of you over the pond), flax and papyrus, some of the first crops to be grown
* the pre-cuneiform pictograms for fish, pot, bird, ox and plough (in the sky)

I really enjoyed painting this one, I hope you like it! Head on over to the Illustration Friday website to see what all those talented peeps have been up to this week.
_________________________________________________

Forest & Sea ▪ www.etsy.com/shop/ForestAndSea
hand drawn nature on fabric, accessories & homeware

13 comments:

  1. Ooh, I would like to visit this place one day! Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous work! So rich in pattern and concept! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely piece. I could get lost in all the detail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely colours!!! Some of those patterns found on archeological finds are gorgeous and they fit in nicely here :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting and all your lovely comments. If anyone's got any constructive critisim or suggestions I'd love to hear them too! For example, I think the composition is awkward in places and some of the washes got a bit muddy and overworked.. so I think I'll have another go at it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely drawing, Cally. You have done research and with your findings you have enriched your work. It is therefore not only a joy to study your drawing; it would be a very nice illustration for an educational book too.
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Paula, great idea! The pictograms and patterns were the most fun to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is totally rad! I love the constellations in the sky. The colors are simply beautiful. I love the patterns.

    Great work. It's nice to see so much production from you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Rubin! You're always so generous and specific in your comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really beautiful: the concept, the colors, the details, everything. So good.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...